This salad is a traditional Polish salad, served on holidays like Easter and Christmas. It's basically cooked root vegetables with salt, pepper, and mayo. It is quite labor intensive, but is well worth the effort!
From: Ania's Kitchen
Makes: A bowl of salad. Like the size in the picture.
Time: Around 1 1/2 hours
2 medium sized potatoes
1/2 large celery root, or 1 small one
2 sweet apples (like golden delicious)
1 can of peas
3 pickled cucumbers
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup low fat mayo
2 TBS mustard
1. Wash your veggies.
2. In a big pot together boil: potatoes, celery root, parsnips, and carrots, until cooked through but still FIRM! Be careful as the carrots and parsnips cook a lot faster than the other veggies. So take them out once they are ready. The carrots will take about 15 to 20 min, while the celery root can take up to 40 minutes to 50 minutes.
3. Separately hard boil eggs.
4. Once veggies are ready, peel them, then dice them into tiny pieces. This is why you want your veggies to still be firm, so that your salad doesn't turn to mush. Put them into a large bowl.
5. Take the shells off the eggs, and also dice them. Put them into the bowl with the veggies.
6. Peel your apples, dice them. Dice your pickled cucumbers. In the bowl with the veggies put the diced apples, pickled cucumbers, and drained peas.
7. Gently mix together . Add salt and pepper to your liking.
8. Add in mayo and mustard, mix all together. Taste it, if you want more salt and pepper keep adding and mixing gently until your get the taste that you want.
9. Let it stand for a couple of hours covered with foil in the fridge. Allow all the flavors to come together.