This is a recipe traditionally made on Easter in Poland. It is pork tenderloin and veggies arranged in a thin layer and set with vegetable flavored gelatin, served with vinegar.
Schab w Galarecie
Schab w Galarecie
1 pork tenderloin
1 parsnip, peeled
1/4 celery root, peeled
4 carrots, peeled
3 TBS of peas, drained
4 eggs, hard boiled
8 cups water
6 packets of unflavored gelatin powder
1 vegetable bullion cube
4 ziele angielskie (pimento/allspice)
2 liscie laurowe (bay leaf)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp vegeta
White vinegar to serve
1. In the 8 cups of water cook the pork tenderloin with peeled carrots, peeled parsnips, peeled celery root, bullion cube, bay leaf, pimento/allspice, salt and pepper, vegeta. Boil till pork is cooked through, about 45 min to 1 hour. The carrot should be taken out after 15 min, once cooked but still firm.
2. Hard boil the eggs.
3. Once pork is cooked, take it out and let it cool. Throw out the parsnip and celery root. Do not throw out the water that everything cooked in, this is your base for the gelatin! You can keep the water on low heat, as you will need it hot later on.
4. Cut pork into 1/2 inch slices. Cut carrots and eggs into 1/4 inch thick slices.
5. In a nice glass dish arrange the pork on the bottom, and put eggs and carrots on top of the pork. Sprinkle the peas all over.
6. Now take out about 6 cups of hot water (the water that everything cooked in). Put the 6 cups through a strainer so that your get 6 cups of flavored water, but without all the leftovers from the pork or veggies. Into the strained flavored hot water add the 6 packets of unflavored gelatin and whish fast so that the gelatin powder melts and incorporates with the water.
7. Pout the gelatin water over the dish that your pork and veggies are arranged in. Do this slowly and gently so that all the vegetables don't go all over the place!
8. Put the dish in the fridge until the gelatin sets.
9. Serve with white vinegar on top.