This is sort of a stew recipe from the South-East part of Poland. The original way to make it is the way that my mom made it back when we lived in Poland. She used this thing that looks like a witch goblet (haha it always reminded me of that) and she put this thing into the bonfire for an hour. This is the witch goblet I am referring to:
FYI this is not my picture. I got it from www.kociolkizeliwne.pl
I modified this recipe to be a little bit more user friendly, so that it can be made in a slow cooker. Just as a forewarning this recipe is quite labor intensive, but the work is all worth it as this turns into a delicious stew. Depending on how fast you can peel and cut vegetables the slicing part can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour. Then you just have to arrange it in the slow cooker and let it cook for 7 hours on high. My mom also makes this in a roasting pan in the oven which takes I think about three hours. I haven't tried that method yet though.
Also the amounts of my vegetables in my pictures will not reflect the recipe amounts, as I was making it on my own the first time, so I didn't know how much veggies I would need exactly. So in the end, my slow cooker got over flown and I had to duck tape it down to close it haha. So just follow the amounts that are stated in the recipe, not the amounts that are shown in the pictures and you will be fine. :)
Serving: This will yield about 1/2 of a slow cooker once cooked down.
4 whole big leaves of a cabbage
1/2 of cabbage
1/2 of a bag of potatoes
1/2 package of carrots
8 oz package of white button mushrooms
1 1/2 medium size onion
4 slices of bacon
1 long stick of kielbasa (So about 2 feet long)
2 Tsp Salt, divided , or more
1 Tsp Pepper, divided, or more
1 Tsp Vegeta, Divided
2 Tsp Paprika, Divided
1/2 cup of water
A slow cooker
1. Wash all your veggies.
2. Take the cabbage and rip off the 4 biggest leaves from the top, set aside. Take half of the remaining cabbage and shred it into 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Take your potatoes and carrot and peel them.
4. Slice your potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onion, and kielbasa 1/4 inch thick. Keep them in separate bowl, don't mix the veggies together, you are going to make layers later.
5. Now into the bottom of your slow cooker put the 4 slices of bacon.
6. Then put 2 cabbage leaves to line the bottom.
7. Half of your shredded cabbage.
8. Half of your potatoes.
9. Half of your mushrooms, kielbasa, carrot, and onion.
10. Now season with 1 Tsp Salt, 1/2 Tsp Pepper, 1/2 Tsp Vegeta, and 1 Tsp Paprika
11. Now make another layer of everything starting with the shredded cabbage, step #7, and ending on step #10.
12. Now take the remaining 2 cabbage leaves, put them on top to cover everything.
13. Take 1/2 cup of water and just divide it and pour it into the 4 sides of the slow cooker.
14. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on high for 7 hours.