This Japanese Cheesecake is absolutely divine! Even though, it might look simple it is anything but. The texture and taste is so light and airy. I never expected a cheesecake to be so light. It is also very easy to make, however you will have to wait to taste it as has to be left in the fridge overnight! I think that this is a perfect cake for Easter.
Recipe from Green Cilantro
10.5 oz cream cheese at room temperature (I used low fat)
3 TBS unsalted butter
.7 oz sugar
.4 oz cornstarch
5.3 oz milk
3 egg whites
2 oz sugar
7 -8 inch cake pan and another cake pan that can fit the cake pan.
A pot with water and heat proof bowl
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
2. Put egg whites and bowl into freezer till it becomes quite cold.
3. Boil water in a pan and put oven proof bowl over it. Into the bowl put the cream cheese and butter. Melt the 2 and whisk to combine.
4. In another bowl mix yolks and .7 oz of sugar, sift in cornstarch. Mix together until it becomes a pale yellow color.
5. Heat the milk until it is quite hot, but not hot enough to scramble the eggs yolks! Add the milk into the mixed yolk, sugar, and cornstarch mixture and whisk together. Once all combined, add this mixture into the melted cream cheese and butter mixture. Whisk everything together. Take the heat proof bowl off the boiling water.
6. Take egg whites and bowl out of the freezer. Beat the egg whites and 2 oz of sugar into a meringue. Add the sugar in 3 parts.
7. Add 1/4 of meringue mixture into the cream cheese mixture and whisk together. Then add the rest of the meringue mixture and fold it in, do not mix.
8. Spray your smaller cake pan (7-8 inches) with oil or line it with baking paper (if you want to take the cake out of the pan later). Fill the cake pan with the cheesecake mixture. Into your bigger cake pan add about 1 to 2 inches of boiling water. Put your smaller cake pan into the bigger cake pan, just make sure no water gets into your cheesecake mixture.
9. Put into the oven, bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F, then lower temperature to 320 F and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in there for 40 minutes. Keep an eye on it so that the top does not become too brown! Try not to open the oven door or your cheesecake will fall.
10. Chill overnight in the fridge. The cheesecake tastes completely different the next day.