I love to experiment with international foods as I have a very open minded taste pallet :) The first time I ate these little guys was when my sister in law ordered them from a Chinese restaurant. Ever since then, I have been craving to make these guys so that I don't have to order them anymore! And so I searched the internet and found a recipe on Yi Reservation's blog. This is a very quick, easy, and delicious recipe!
From Yi Reservation
Makes: 16 wontons
16 wonton wrappers (I get mine at H-Mart)
1/4 lb crab meat imitation
4 oz cream cheese, softened (I used lowfat cream cheese)
2 stalks scallion, finelly chopped
1/2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
Sweet and sour sauce to serve, or any kind you like
Vegetable or canola oil for frying
1. Shred the crab meat into small pieces. Combine the crab meat with the cream cheese, scallion, soy sauce, and sugar. Incorporate all the ingredients well together.
2. Put about 1 tsp of the cream cheese mixture into each wonton.
3. Wet the edges of the wontons with water, I did this using a pastry brush.
4. Fold the cheese wontons into a triangle and seal. Then wet the edges again and fold the 2 triangle edges up and inward.
5. Heat the oil. The oil is hot enough if you put a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles form around the edge of the wooden spoon.
6. Fry the wontons in the oil until they are golden brown. About 1 minute each side.
7. Take the wontons out and put them on a wire rack to allow them to drip the excess oil off.
8. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
My brother says they are good!